#NaNoWriMo Diary -- Day 16


Day 16

So we've reached the proverbial halfway point.

I'm at 28,000 words. I've been writing more than the required 1667 words each day, which has allowed me to stay on track on days I didn't write much or at all, and there have been a few, particularly over the weekend during which we had some family celebrations, along with other stuff aka Life.

I'm on track to hit 50k words on November 29, which is all right, but I feel I need to step it up a notch and write more, as my goal for this book has always been to surpass 50k words. I'm looking for this novel to be at least 60k. That's a nice, quick read. And for this type of material I think it's an appropriate length.

I've seen some fellow NaNoWriMo-ers on Instagram say that this is the point when they usually quit or give up each year. To that I say, "What?!!!" Don't give up. Don't quit. Keep going. The days are going to pass anyway. You may as well have the 50k words to show for it at the end. Even if you feel like they're crap, at least you have something to show for the month, for the whole NaNoWriMo event. And the "Now What?" event in January will be a guide for fixing, polishing, and rewriting your draft.

Remember not to let perfection be the enemy of progress.

Get the book written.

That's the first, and the biggest, hurdle. I don't recall at the moment who said, "Writing is rewriting." But you have to have written in order to rewrite. So don't give up. Don't quit. Your story deserves more than that. So do you. You're a writer, right? Write! Feeling scared and doubtful and neurotic and spending hours polishing the silver ware when you should be writing is totally normal. But you still have to hit your word count.

You can do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catching Up With Writer Roy Huff @realroyhuff

10 Questions with Thriller Writer C.W. Lemoine (@CWLemoine)

10 Questions with Author Sandra Glosser (@baccibone1)