10 Questions with Fantasy Novelist Jen Wylie (@jen_wylie)





This Author Spotlight
features
Fantasy Novelist

Jen Wylie

author of






Jen Wylie resides in rural Ontario, Canada with her two boys, an Australian shepherd and a disagreeable amount of wildlife. In a cosmic twist of fate, she dislikes the snow and cold.

Before settling down to raise a family, she attained a BA from Queens University and worked in retail and sales.

Thanks to her mother, she acquired a love of books at an early age and began writing in public school. She constantly has stories floating around in her head, and finds it amazing most people don’t. Jennifer writes various forms of fantasy, both novels and short stories.



1.How did you get into writing and why do you write?

I started writing when I was in public school. I was also a very avid reader from a young age, so I think all the fantasy books got my imagination going. I didn't look into publishing my writing until about 5 years ago.

I write because my head is full of stories, I need to get them out and I also enjoy sharing them with others J

2.What do you like best (or least) about writing?

I love starting a new story, coming up with characters and plots and twists, making new worlds. Endings can be a trial… the characters don't like me to stop writing about them.


3.What is your writing process? IE do you outline? Do you stick to a daily word or page count, write 7 days a week, etc?

I don't start out with an outline, but I make notes as I go along and as I near the end I'll have a page with notes of things that need to happen, loose ends to tie up etc. No daily routine, I write when I can find the time (usually after the kids go to bed)

4.Who are some other writers you read and admire, regardless of whether they are commercially “successful?”

I'm rather partial to Sean Hayden (my fiancé <grins>) but really love to read indie and small press authors. There are a number of fantastic authors out there with amazing tales to share.

5.Should the question mark in the above question be inside or outside the quotes?

Inside J

6.What’s your stance on the Oxford Comma?

I find it makes for some interesting sentences when people don't use it.

7.What is your book Broken Aro about and how did it come to fruition?

Broken Aro (book 1 of The Broken Ones) is a YA fantasy, a bit epic and a bit dark, and with a little romance. It follows a young girl (Arowyn) whose city is attacked and she is captured by slavers. She goes on quite the journey, and makes a new family for herself. I loved writing this story as Aro is quite a strong female lead and though she goes through a lot of hardship, she keeps going, keeps fighting and doesn't lose hope. The book also puts a great deal of emphasis on the importance of family and friendship.

8.What’s your current writing project?

I'm currently working on book 3 in The Broken Ones and hoping to be finished soon!

9.What book(s) are you currently reading?

I'm actually not currently reading anything. Next on my to-read list is Warrior Everlasting by Wendy Knight. (Sadly I don't get a lot of time to read, and I've a very long to-read list)

10.Who or what inspires your writing?

I'm inspired by simple things, or strange things, common things for the most part. Music, the tune or lyrics often gets me thinking, or everyday conversations. My family and Sean are the most wonderful supporters, and Sean is always there to run ideas by or to brainstorm with if I get stuck.

My boys were especially helpful in coming up with wacky ideas for Tales of Ever, and are also harassing me to write more.

Finally, is there anything you’d care to add? Please also include where people can read your published stories, buy your book, etc.

Thanks so very much for having me! J I love to hear from readers so invite everyone to stop by my facebook author page or drop me an email!

All of my books are on Amazon

And a select few are available everywhere.

Thank you, Jen, for sharing your book. Let us know when the next installment is ready.

Be sure to visit Jen on her various social media site, join her mailing list, and grab a copy of Broken Aro at the link below.

My website: www.jenwylie.com
Twitter: @jen_wylie

Broken Aro has 95 five-star reviews on Amazon. Check it out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catching Up With Writer Roy Huff @realroyhuff

10 Questions with Author Sandra Glosser (@baccibone1)

10 Questions with Thriller Writer C.W. Lemoine (@CWLemoine)