10 Questions with Nicole Conway (@ANConway)





This Author Spotlight
features
writer

Nicole Conway

author of








Nicole Conway is an author and freelance illustrator from North Alabama. Currently she lives in Valdosta, Georgia, with her husband. She has a Bachelor’s degree in English from Auburn University, and is a member of the SCBWI [Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators].

Her first published work, DERVYSHIRE PARK, was released in 2012.

1.How did you get into writing and why do you write?
I’ve been writing books and stories for as long as I can remember. My mom encouraged my interest in reading and writing from a very young age. I can’t really explain why I’ve always felt this need to write. It’s just a part of who I am. I jokingly tell my husband that I was born with a head full of imaginary people, and writing their stories is the only way to shut them up.

2.What do you like best (or least) about writing?
What I like best about writing is when I get to write things that make me (and other people) laugh. Seeing that others are enjoying my stories and characters is not only validating, it also brings me absolute joy.

3.What is your writing process? IE do you outline? Do you stick to a daily word or page count, write 7 days a week, etc?
My “process” is more like controlled chaos. I do outline, but only to an extent. I’ve found in the past that if I plan out every detail, I get extremely bored and lose interest in the story. I don’t plan out day by day what to write or how much to write, so I honestly have no idea what my daily word count would be. But I can tell you that on average, it usually takes me six months to finish a first draft of a book.

4.Who are some other writers you read and admire, regardless of whether they are commercially “successful?”
Well, I both enjoy and admire Rick Riordan’s work. His books are just delightful and his characters are so diverse. I also admire his sense of humor when dealing with fans that give him a hard time about his “cliffhangers.”

5.Should the question mark in the above question be inside or outside the quotes?
Oh, inside. Definitely.

6.What’s your stance on the Oxford Comma?
Always respect the Oxford Comma!

7.What is your book FLEDGLING about and how did it come to fruition?
Everyone assumes FLEDGLING is about dragons. But the dragons were never supposed to be the main focus of this book, let alone the series. This book is about Jaevid and his journey. He is the most important character I’ve ever created, and is quite literally a piece of my own soul. In FLEDGLING, Jaevid takes his first steps from being a frightened, submissive little boy toward being a confident, capable soldier. It’s a tale of self-discovery.

8.What’s your current writing project?
Right now I’m working on the sequel to FLEDGLING, titled AVIAN. I’m anticipating it will be finished this summer.

9.What book(s) are you currently reading?
CAPTIVATING by John & Stasi Eldredge
MARK OF ATHENA by Rick Riordan.

10.Who or what inspires your writing?
My husband inspires me a lot. He was definitely the key inspiration behind Jaevid’s character. But my family and personal experiences also fill my life with more raw story-material than I’ll ever be able to fit into my stories.

Finally, is there anything you’d care to add? Please also include where people can read your published stories, buy your book, etc.
I’d like to express my utmost gratitude to all my readers and fans. Whether you realize it or not, you have all helped make my childhood dream come true. Thank you all so much! If you’re interested in reading my work, FLEDGLING is available for Kindle and in paperback from Amazon.com. You can also find information about my books and me on my author webpage (http://anconway422.wix.com/anconway). Happy reading! 

Thank you, Nicole. FLEDGLING is a great success, with over 360 reviews on Amazon, and a 4.5-star average. I can attest to the fact that the writing is solid and the story captivating. No amateur indie slush here, folks.

Pick up a copy of FLEDGLING and get ready for a wonderful ride, so you'll be ready for AVIAN when it is available.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catching Up With Writer Roy Huff @realroyhuff

10 Questions with Thriller Writer C.W. Lemoine (@CWLemoine)

10 Questions with Author Sandra Glosser (@baccibone1)